disclaimer: this product was sent to me for review purposes. all opinions are my own and are unbiased
Jolse, a premier Korean online store, sent me these Kawaii facial sheet masks featuring the lazy egg, Gudetama. I normally steer clear of novelty masks, but I couldn’t resist this egg ~ he (she?) is lazy, grumpy and sneaky… very crafty! So, had to try out my face with Gudetama’s face 🙂
image credit from jolse
Gudetama is a Sanrio character is a lazy, grumpy egg ~ his name roughly means “no energy egg” (gude=no energy/strength, tama is from tamago=egg) and he has been resigned to his lot in life, which is to be cooked and eaten. This character has been so popular that there are chopsticks, toys, phone cases, stickers, pens, key chains and now skincare and makeup products with his image. I already tried and really liked the Lazy & Easy Jelly Dough Blusher from the Holika Holika Gudetama line of products.
Let’s Talk Ingredients
- Egg Yolks are used to help clear up blemishes and they are rich in Vitamin A. They also contain water and fatty acids, and will lock moisture into your skin cells, leaving your skin hydrated and soft.
- Albumen (from egg whites or soybeans) help tighten your pores and act as an astringent. It soothes your skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and hydrates your skin. It is also an anti-aging ingredient as it helps maintain the elasticity of you skin, while combating free radicals.
- Aloe Barbadensis is a powerful moisturizer that doesn’t leave your skin feeling oily or greasy. It soothes, treats inflammation, helps speed up skin healing and also has a plethora of antioxidants ~ beta-carotene, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, which help improve your skin’s firmness and keeps your skin moist and hydrated. It also contains over 75 different nutritious ingredients, including minerals, enzymes, amino acids, salicylic acid and much more
- Camellia Sinensis (green tea) an antioxidant to help combat free radicals and reverse skin damage as well as an anti-inflammatory
- Melaleuca Aternifolia (tea tree) is an anti fungal, antibacterial and antiseptic ingredient and helps prevent and heal acne
- Chamaecyparis Obtusa (Hinoki cypress) has antiseptic, antifungal and antiviral properties to heal blemishes and minor skin issues, like abrasions and rashes
- Calendula Officinalis is an anti-inflammatory and moisturizing ingredient and its extracts can speed up wound healing, due to its flavonoids and saponins
- Sodium Hyaluronate is an intensive moisturizing ingredient which bonds water to keep skin hydrated. It is a natural substance found in the human body and it made up of amino and uronic acids, and helps retain 100 to 1,000 times its own water weight in our skin cells.
- Allantoin moisturizes, exfoliates and softens skin, making it look smooth and refined, while reducing and relieving irritation.
- Panthenol is a natural humectant, which retains moisture and hydrates the skin. It also is a good lubricant on the skin, making skin look soft and smooth. It is also an anti-inflammatory
This mask has some fine, first rate ingredients in it with a focus on hydration, soothing and oil/pore control.
image from jolse
Ingredients: water, methylpropanediol, 1,2-hexanediol, butylene glycol, egg yolk extract, albumen extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, camellia sinensis leaf water, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf water, chamaecyparis obtusa water, calendula officinalis extract, sodium hyaluronate, allantoin, panthenol, trehalose, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, carbomer, tromethamine, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP copolymer, xanthan gum, caprylyl glycol, disodium EDTA, ethylhexylglycerin, ethyl hexanediol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance cosDNA.com analysis
The mask material is very thick and stiff and the color is orange-yellow. I am worry that my face will turn orange! The essence is a bit thicker than water and has a bitter scent ~ it is very light and doesn’t disappear. The mask has enough essence on it, but despite the wetness, the sheet mask is not that pliable. Gudetama’s eyes and mouth are on my forehead and his “arms” cross diagonally across my cheeks. They kinda look like something else… well, you know. ahaha I could not get a good mask selfie without looking like I am demented or very angry. It’s probably due to those “arms” on my cheeks 😉
so sad at the sheet mask material…
The mask kept lifting off my face, as the material was so thick ~ I was always pushing it down to make it adhere to my skin. The mask wouldn’t be ill fitting if it was of a thinner material but I guess it has to be this stiffer, thicker mask in order to print the character. And no, my face didn’t turn orange 🙂 I actually didn’t think this mask would do much… but wow.
When I removed this stiff mask-that-was-not adhering-to-my-face-that-well, my face looked so much more brighter. And hydrated. I could see how much more bright my skin tone looked the second I removed the mask. This is totally unexpected, because the character masks I have tried in the past are just novelty items and don’t have that much “value” in terms of actually doing something for your skin.
I really like the results from this mask, despite the fact I disliked the mask sheet material and the fit ~ not to mention that I normally do not like having phallic symbols on my cheeks ~ ahaha. But the results, egg, the results. Brightening may not have been the primary selling point of this mask ~ but it does brighten, as well as providing a nice matte finish to my face. It did nothing for my pores, however. If you are looking for a fun novelty mask, this one actually has decent results. Have you tried any of the Holika Holika Gudetama items yet? Are you planning on purchasing any?
You can purchase Holika Holika Gudetama Lazy & Easy Facial Sheet Mask for $7.25 USD ~ you get two masks. Jolse also has free shipping and gives lots of samples too when you place an order with them. They also carry a lot of Holika Holika’s Gudetama line (click here) which is so cute!!