I have been using these two products for almost 2 months now and thought it was time to do a review on them! You might be wondering why I have a toner ~ Innisfree Red Beet Bright Toning Skin ~ and an “oil” ~ Goodal Water Oil Firming Camellia ~ in the same review. Well, according to Goodal, the water oil line can be used as a toner! I didn’t know this, but if you have very dry skin, that would make sense. I have oily skin, so I use it as serum. For those who don’t know, I totally adore and love Innisfree and Goodal products.
Innisfree Red Beet Bright Toning Skin The Red Beet line is part of Innisfree’s Superfoods from Jeju series and I have tried a couple of products from this series already: Blueberry Rebalancing 5.5 Cleanser and Red Beet Bright Toning Cleanser. For those wondering what “Skin” is, that is just another word to describe toners ~ I am not sure why they are called “skin”, but Innisfree uses this word quite a bit to describe their toner products.
This toner contains 500 mg of red beet extracts and I spoke about the power of beets in skin care when I reviewed the cleanser. However I will repeat that information here with some new information
Beets are a rich source of anthocyanins, which are the flavonoid pigments that protect vegetation from sun damage. They act as antioxidants and will help protect your skin from free radical damage as well as helping reverse some of that damage. They can help repair cells damaged from free radicals and stimulate the production of new, healthy skin cells. This also has anti-inflammatory benefits, so it can help soothe and reduce swelling and redness on your skin.
Beets can help prevent wrinkles, fine lines and helps heals blemishes. They can also help with dry skin and improve your skin tone, by overall brightening ~ Beets contain vitamin C, so that helps with reduce the appearance of skin hyper-pigmentation and also refines and exfoliates your skin’s texture, leaving it smooth and soft. Red beets also contain polyphenols and have eight times more than tomatoes, and polyphenols are part of the antioxidant compounds called catechins. You might already know about catechins if you use products that contain green tea ~ it help prevent the breakdown of collagen and elastin. Collagen and elastin are what keeps our skin smooth, firm, moist and youthful looking, and skin elasticity will decrease the older you get.
Innisfree only uses super food greens that are graded 0 to 2 per EWG, which means they are selecting high quality fruits, vegetables and grains to make their skincare products. Their extraction method for the raw super foods materials is by using low temperatures, so it is a slow extraction, but will retain the nutrition and benefits of the raw materials.
I use this toner after cleansing my face ~ it is very watery, so I use a cotton pad to wipe my face with this product. The scent is AMAZING. Unlike the cleanser in this line, this has a bright, sparkling tangerine scent ~ it is wonderful! And yes, scents are 50% of the battle with me. If I love the scent of a product, I am more willing to keep using it over time. This has a nice opening at the top and the toner comes out nicely when I shake the bottle
I will say that I didn’t notice any brightening aspects with this toner, but it was very refreshing and cool ~ this felt good on my skin and I went out of my way to really soak the cotton pad and just place it over my face, letting the toner sink into my skin. My skin feels silky smooth afterwards, with no sticky or tacky residue. This has a pH level of 5, so it is mildly acidic.
I found that this toner is really fantastic for summer months, as it helped cut down on my oil as well ~ yes, even after washing my face, my skin will start to shimmer and glisten with oil within a few minutes. This toner helped remove excess oil and yet it is hydrating ~ my average oil/water readings displayed an increase of 35% for both.
Based on those factors ~ refreshing, cool, aromatic citrus scent, removes excess oil while not drying or stripping my skin, I give this toner two thumbs up! It is a fantastic experience and it is a perfect toner for those dealing with hot and muggy weather.
Ingredients: purified water, ethanol, propanediol,1,2-hexanediol, butylene glycol, glycereth-26, niacinamide, C12-14 pareth-12, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, ethylhexylglycerin, disodium EDTA, red beetroot extract (500 mg), glyceryl caprylate cosDNA.com analysis
Goodal Water Oil Firming Camellia I love Goodal products ~ they are subsidiarity of Club Clio and they make the most wonderful fermented skincare products. I have raved about their now discontinued Waterest Tone Up First Essence and Waterest Lasting Oil. It looks like the formula on the newly packaged green bottle of the Lasting Oil is the same, so that is great news. Goodal has come out with two more water oils ~ Toning Lotus and Firming Camellia ~ and I did purchase both. I’ve been using the Camellia version and will start the Lotus when this is completed. One thing I have noticed with Goodal Water Oils is that oily, dry and normal skin types all seem to love this! Goodal uses raw seed fermentation method, which is described as follows:
“It is really special and extraordinary fermentation method, called ‘Raw seed fermentation method with Goodal Real natural seeds’ Not fermentation with artificial oil water, it is raw fermentation from natural seeds directly”
What is fantastic about this “oil” is that it doesn’t ACT like an oil ~ it has a silky texture, with a lovely slip to it, but it is not heavy or greasy ~ in fact, it leaves behind a smooth, supple finish that is almost matte. This is marketed towards normal and dry skin types, but I have oily skin and it works wonders for me ~ I have aging skin, so I need to have the anti-aging benefits of this oil. This has a pump applicator and I find 2 pumps is more than enough to cover my face fully.
Description: Goodal’s Firming Camellia Water Oil delivers moisture and elasticity boosting ingredients in an innovative “bubble oil”, delivering both water and lipid based moisture, ideal for slowing down skin aging. A single application of the Firming Camellia Water Oil’s “bubble oil” envelops skin in a silky and supple veil of moisture without feeling heavy, sticky, or uncomfortable
As an aside, look how pretty the box is! Goodal really has the prettiest packaging with their botanical prints. BTW ~ I am breaking in my new iPhone camera and getting used to it ~ I had an Android before, so there are differences. However, I am noticing that the photo quality is getting better in some pictures (whereas others, I still have work to do!)
This oil is full of purified botanical and fermented ingredients. Using fermented ingredients has been around for a few millennia and what fermentation does is to allow the growth of good bacteria. This bacteria will create lactic acid, by consuming sugar and starch, and it also creates probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, all sorts of Vitamin B’s and enzymes, which means that it has more nutrients. The fermented yeast helps break down active ingredients which can be absorbed more quickly into your skin and you can get the benefits of the ingredients rapidly.
- Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate is produced from the fungus family. Saccharomyces in skin care products are highly moisturizing and also have antibacterial properties, as well stimulating wound healing and repairing your tissues. This yeasty extract helps stimulate elastin production and improves the moisture barrier function of your skin.
- Camellia Japonica is a powerful antioxidant and will help combat free radicals, preventing wrinkles and reducing hyper-pigmentation. It aids in the production of collagen and it also can restore the moisture balance back into your skin and protects against the damaging UV rays of the sun, resulting in radiant, glowing skin. This includes both Camellia extracts and seed oil, the latter has fast absorbing properties and is non-comedogenic.
- Niacinamide is a powerful antioxidant that acts as an anti-inflammatory, improves your skin elasticity, enhance the skin barrier function and also it helps to even out skin tone and reduce post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.
- Adenosine is yeast derived and is an anti-wrinkle and anti-inflammatory ingredient
- Salix Alba (Willow) Bark is a BHA (beta hydroxy acid) which helps exfoliate skin by removing dead skin cells, contains salicylic acid, to help combat acne. It is also high in anti-oxidants, which tone and reduce inflammation as well as being an astringent, to control oil. Salicylic acid is fat soluble, so it can really get to the oil that is inside your pores.
- Beta-Glucan is a compound that is naturally derived from mushrooms, oats, yeast and grains. It helps stimulate the production of collagen, speeds up wound healing, soothes and calms skin due to its anti-irritant and strong anti-inflammatory properties, moisturizes, locks in natural moisture, anti-aging and anti-wrinkle due to its anti-oxidant properties and also helps repair your moisture barrier.
- Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferments are a potent antioxidant which will help reverse skin damage, such as hyper-pigmentation, caused by free radicals. It also has an anti-inflammatory property and polypeptides found in this ingredient are highly moisturizing
- Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4 will help increase and stimulate collagen production while helping to stabilize skin cells help skin cells remain more stable. This allows the skin to heal itself and to rejuvenate and reduces the appearance of deep wrinkles.
Whew, what an impressive list and that isn’t even half of them! This oil has a very faint scent of camellia, but it is so faint, I can barely detect it. It is strange, as Goodal has fragrance in the top 1/3 list of ingredients. It has a lovely slip to it and as I massage it into my skin, I can see “water droplets” on my skin before it is absorbed completely. The difference in the texture of my skin is amazing ~ it is so soft, smooth and supply ~ it is like I have baby skin!
This is a hydrating product as it increases the oil/moisture level about 43% to 45%. Now, this might not be enough for you, but this product is not in place of a lotion or moisturizer. This oil is meant to be layered with other products, aiding in boosting the effects of those skincare items.
I use this product all over my face, even under my eyes at night time. I love the texture of it and how my skin feels, plus I find it does aid my other skin products to absorb better into my skin. I haven’t noticed any lightening of my hyper-pigmentation, but my skin tone is even and I do notice a reduction of redness and swelling around my blemish prone areas. I use this after my toner and first essence, but Goodal also suggests that this can be used as a toner, followed by an oil and then a moisturizer, if you have less products. I can also see if you have drier skin, that this lovely water oil could be a toner replacement for you. It is lightweight enough to be one and it absorbs quickly into your skin, like water.
For those who want to know the different between the three Water Oils, this is what Goodal has to say
- Goodal Waterest Lasting Water Oil: Long lasting Water Oil (moisture). Transparent and lightweight texture with high adhesion
- Goodal Water Oil Toning Lotus: Radiant Water Oil. Jelly-like texture instantly adheres to skin
- Goodal Water Oil Firming Camellia: Firming Water Oil. Oil texture gently covers skin
Ingredients: Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate, Camellia Japonica Flower Extract, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Niacinamide, 1,2-Hexandiol, Acrylates/C-1030 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tromethamine, Xanthan Gum, Adenosine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance, Water, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Propylene Gylcol, Hydrolyzed Extensin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract, Chamaecyparis Obtusa Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Beta Glucan, Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Cinnamomum Cassia Bark Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Polysorbate 20, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4 cosDNA.com analysis
Well, if you didn’t guess it by now, I do love these two products ~ they are perfect for me in the summertime. Innisfree Red Beet Skin is refreshing, cooling and smells delightful, plus it gets my oily skin under control and Goodal Water Oil Firming Camellia is another winner in the water oil series. If you have oily skin and are afraid of putting oils on your face, I highly recommend the Goodal Water Oil series ~ I haven’t tried the Lotus yet, but I have tried two of them now and they are both stellar! Us oily skinned types need to layer light weight, hydrating products to help keep our skin from being dehydrated ~ and if oily skin gets dehydrated, it means really greasy and dull skin with blemishes. Use this and your face will love you for it! If you have dry skin, these are a great step to prep your skin for more moisturizing products.
Where to Purchase
Some of my links are affiliate links and I do make a very small commission if you use them. I also have referrals, marked with ** and will have that information at the end.
Innisfree Red Beet Bright Toning Skin Full Size 150 mL Average RV $12.00
Goodal Water Oil Firming Camellia Full Size 60 mL Average Price $30.00 ~ you can find it cheaper at some sites, but shipping is not free.
- Memebox **
- ClubClio USA
- ClubClio International
- Rose Rose Shop
- Club Clio Korea via Korean Buddy ** In case you want to purchase some other items, seriously, the Korean site has so MUCH more products!
- Cosmetic-Love: Save 15% off your first order by using my referral link http://r.sloyalty.com/r/up4tkFqYVjLX . Cosmetic-Love always has free shipping too.
- KoreanBuddy: This is a shopping service that can order from Korean sites that do not ship to your area. I’ve used them several times and I have been very happy with their service! One great perk from ordering direct from a Korean online shop, is that they really have great sales (1+1, fantastic deluxe sizes) and also tons of samples ~ some travel size! If you use them, let them know you came from my site using my url, and you will save 50% off their service charge fee for your first order, which is at least $4.50. Tell them that https://beautyfindsforme.wordpress.com sent you!
- w2Beauty: Use promo code W2MAYJU16 for 5% off all products in June. You can get a $5.00 coupon to use on your first purchase using my referral code 0811226902 (or link) Click here
[ blog post contains affiliate and referral links ]