disclaimer: this product was sent to me for review purposes. all opinions are my own and are unbiased
And the winner for the longest name for a product goes to… Neogen! A few years back, I had used the NeoGen Code Gold Black Caviar Essence & Gold Tox Tightening Pack and really enjoyed it (review here). I was hoping that Memebox would carry the Neogen Code 9 Lemon Green Caviar Essence & Tox Tightening Pack as I felt that this was more appropriate for oily skin and I waited in vain. (For my own sanity and your eyes, I will refer to them as Lemon Green and Black Gold going forward). I waited and waited until now! Memebox is now carrying Neogen products at great prices and they are offering Lemon Green! I received this product from Memebox as I am a Memebox Ambassador (sorry, I cannot refer to myself as a MemeBabe ~ haha) and I am so thrilled to review it for you. Been a long time coming…
The first thing I did notice is that the packaging has been streamlined. Neogen used to box each product individually, including the tweezers and stand. I remember how intimidated I was with the Black Gold product and all of its boxes. Now, everything fits in one yellow-green box and the box has the ingredients list and instructions on the side ~ in Korean and English. Very user and eco-friendly. I do like this switch from multiple boxes to one.
Description: Need an all-in-one skincare product that lets you skip your lengthy skin routine? Here’s a multifunctional solution essence infused with lemon extract, green caviar, multivitamins and 55 kinds of natural organic extracts that brightens, firms, hydrates, nourishes and tightens the skin in just a single use! This essence is paired with a 100% pure cotton gauze pad that has a cushion sheet and patterned pad that effectively detoxifies and exfoliates the skin. This advanced concept allows nutrients and active ingredients to be fully absorbed by the skin. With continuous usage, it transforms the skin into smoother and more youthful state.
What You Get
You receive a tub containing 25 gauze pack pads, a 250 mL jar filled with yellow-green essence, a stand for your tub and tweezers. The stand has a slot where you can place your tweezers so you don’t lose them. Since I store my tub in the frig, I normally do not use the stand or tweezers.
Ahh, I love this green goo! It smells so fresh and has a lemon-lime scent ~ caviar doesn’t mean what you think it does ~ it isn’t fish eggs, but a seaweed that looks like grapes or caviar ~ caulerpa lentillifera, aka sea grapes or green caviar. There are 56 natural ingredients in this essence, many of them traditional Asian medicine ingredients. The pads have have a rayon/poly blended (61.5%/38.5%) mesh (threaded) side consisting of 3,000 1mm threads and that will help remove dirt and dead cells, gently exfoliating. The other side of the 100% cotton pad is embossed, soft and padded so you can pat in the essence onto your skin ~ giving it the same effect as it you used a facial sheet mask.
The liquid and pads are in different containers for reasons that I am still not sure of. Maybe it is so that the product stays fresh and once you are ready to create your essence-soaked pads. When you are ready to take the final plunge into trying these, just gently pour the essence into the pad tub ~ it will have a few bubbles due to the air pockets and the thick nature of this Vitamin C enriched essence. You should use your tub up in 60 days, according to Neogen, which now explains the different containers ~ the clock starts ticking once you mix them together. In fact, when I ran the ingredient list thru cosDNA, I didn’t see any marked as a preservative ~ that doesn’t mean there isn’t any in here, but nothing that cosDNA recognizes as one. Good thing I store this in the frig!
You need to put your tub in the refrigerator for at least 9 hours to let the pads fully absorb the essence. Before I put my tub away to “cook” in the frig, I did a pH test on the essence ~ it is a nice 5 level, so it is mildly acidic and along with the mesh pad, will help gently exfoliate your skin.
Ingredients: water, PEG/PPG-17/6 copolymer, glycerin, butylene glycol, citrus medica limonum (lemon) fruit extract (3%), caulerpa lentillifera extract (3%), alcohol, niacinamide, hydrolyzed collagen, sodium hyaluronate, caffeine, brassica campestris (rapeseed) seed oil, vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed oil, juglans regia (walnut) seed oil, cyclodextrin, panthenol, caprylic/capric triglyceride, rutin, tocopherol, polyglyceryl-10 myristate, polycaprolactone, retinol, polysorbate 20, prunus mume fruit extract, lithospermum erythrorhizon (zicao) root extract, atractyloides japonica rhizome extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, chaenomeles sinensis (zhou pi mugua) fruit extract, morus alba (mulberry) bark extract, phragmites communis extract, machilus odoratissima (Ji Xiang Run Nan) bark extract, benincasa cerifera (winter melon) seed extract, betula platyphylla japonica (Japanese white birch) bark extract, paeonia lactiflora (peony) root extract, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel extract, sesamum indicum (sesame) seed extract, angelica gigas (wild celery) root extract, bupleurum falcatum (Chai Hu) root extract, coix lacryma-jobi ma-yuen (jobs tears) seed extract, coptis chinensis (huang lian) root extract, phaseolus radiatus (mung bean) extract, pinus koraiensis (Korean pine) seed extract, polygonum multiflorum (He Shou Wu) root extract, scutellaria baicalensis root extract, zizyphus jujuba (Chinese date) fruit extract, centella asiatica extract, achillea millefolium (yarrow) extract, gentiana lutea root extract, portulaca oleracea extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, melissa officinalis leaf extract, cymbopogon citratus extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) fruit extract, carica papaya (papaya) fruit extract, tricholoma matsutake extract, cordyceps sinensis extract, citrus paradisi (grapefruit) fruit extract, pisum sativum (pea) extract, glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, vitis vinifera (grape) fruit extract, saururus chinensis leaf/root extract, arnica montana flower extract, artemisia absinthium (wormwood) extract, broussonetia kazinoki (paper mulberry) bark extract, lactobacillus/aspergillus/prunus mume fruit ferment filtrate, lactobacillus/nelumbo nucifera seed ferment filtrate, lactobacillus/punica granatum fruit ferment, extract, lactobacillus/soybean ferment extract, paeonia suffruticosa root extract, adenosine, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, carbomer, triethanolamine, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, disodium EDTA, citrucitrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, fragrance cosDNA.com analysis
This product contains a lot of herbal and fruit extracts, many of which have been used in traditional Chinese medicine along with a slew of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients. Looking at the analysis by cosDNA, I don’t see any major triggers and the only ingredient that has a safety concern is the retinol, but many people use retinol, so I don’t think that is a major issue. I am just going to describe the benefits of some known ingredients and also randomly pick a few off the list, as there are SO MANY ingredients in this product!! If I was in college, this would be my thesis for the year! haha That said, there are a lot of citrus ingredients, so keep that in mind. Some people cannot tolerate citrus ingredients in their skin care, but I have had no issues with it.
- Citrus Medica Limonum (lemon) is a natural source of Vitamin C and the antioxidants bioflavonoids. It helps protect your skin against UV damage and is also an anti-inflammatory. This also has some other citrus fruit extracts high in Vitamin C ~ tangerine, orange and grapefruit.
- Caulerpa Lentillifera (green caviar) contains beta glucan, which helps stimulate the production of collagen, speeds up wound healing, soothes and calms skin due to its anti-irritant and strong anti-inflammatory properties, moisturizes, locks in natural moisture, anti-aging and anti-wrinkle due to its anti-oxidant properties and also helps repair your moisture barrier.
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) is a powerful antioxidant that acts as an anti-inflammatory, improves your skin elasticity, enhance the skin barrier function and also it helps to even out skin tone and reduce post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.
- Sodium Hyaluronate is an intensive moisturizing ingredient which bonds water to keep skin hydrated. It is a natural substance found in the human body and it made up of amino and uronic acids, and helps retain 100 to 1,000 times its own water weight in our skin cells.
- Linum Usitatissimum (linseed), also known as flaxseed, will help reduce the appearance of pores, improve the elasticity and enhance moisture.
- Chaenomeles Sinensis (zhou pi mugua), also known as Chinese quince, has shown that it has antioxidant and antiviral properties.
- Lithospermum Erythrorhizon (zicao), also known as purple gromwell, has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial when your skin is exposed to UV rays. There are claims that it helps enhance the skin’s barrier function as well.
- Coix Lacryma-Jobi Ma-yuen Seed (Job’s Tears/Chinese pearl barley) contain nutrients, vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids. Job’s Tears have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for skin as it helps heal and lighten blemishes, redness and will help soften your skin.
- Coptis Chinensis (huang lian) also known as goldenrod ~ is an anti-inflammatory and helps treat acne and other skin conditions. It also contains tannins and ferulic acid, which can help treat wounds and combat free radicals.
- Hamamelis Virginiana (witch hazel) is an blemish prone skin’s best friend because it has antibacterial and antiseptic qualities which helps clear up acne and it removes excess oil from skin. It also helps shrinks blood vessels, which tightens our skin. Witch Hazel can speed up healing and is a powerful anti-inflammatory, which also helps soothe skin. Finally, Witch Hazel refreshes and rejuvenates skin, refines the pores and seal in moisture.
- Carica Papaya (papaya) contains an enzyme called papain, which is a natural exfoliator, making your skin smooth, vibrant and healthy. Papain cures a variety of skin issues, such as acne, dry skin and premature again. Papaya also is an antioxidant, as it has Vitamins A, C and E along with carotenoids, helping to reduce inflammation of your skin, as well as nourishing it.
- Glycine Soja (soybean) contains isoflavonoids, phenolic acids, flavonoids, tannins among its many components. Soy is an anti-inflammatory, a powerful antioxidant, combating free radicals and reverse their damage, stimulates collagen production, helps brighten and even out skin tone and also protects your skin from UV rays. This is one of my favorite ingredients as I think it really helps skin types like my own ~ oily, but aging.
- Lots of fermented goodies as well ~ lactobacillus/aspergillus/prunus mume, lactobacillus/nelumbo nucifera, lactobacillus/punica granatum, lactobacillus/soybean ~ fermented ingredients in skin care products are highly moisturizing and have antibacterial properties too ~ so another friend for oily yet aging skin.
I kept my pads soaking overnight before I took them out to use. Each pad is soaked, and I mean dripping, with essence. According to Neogen, there is the equivalent of 10 25mL bottles of essence. And did I mention how fantastic the scent is? I know I did ~ but still ~ it is a great lemon-lime scent.
I applied this to my clean face, using the mesh pad first, to help dislodge and remove dead skin cells and dirt, using a circular motion around my face and neck and I concentrated around my nose, forehead and chin area . This was for about 10 to 20 seconds. I then flipped the pad over and used the embossed side to pat in the essence into my skin for another 10 to 20 seconds. There was so much essence left over that I swiped it on my hands and arms. In fact, there will be extra essence left in the tub when I use all of these pads. It makes no sense to throw out this lovely brew of potent anti-oxidant, anti-aging ingredients, so once I finish with the pads, I am going to decant the essence into one of my airless pumps that I purchased from Amazon (highly recommend getting these, as they are also perfect traveling companions)
My face is very moist after I apply the Lemon Green. So much so, that I can skip a lot of skin care steps if I just use this product. I did a skin analyzer test and the oil/moisture level increase was 53% for both, so it is a balancing skin care product. This can take the place of a toner, essence and ampoule, so I just need to add a light moisturizer over this once it dries ~ it does take a few minutes to dry, as that is how hydrated my face is. It does leave a slight sticky residue initially, but it does go away after a few minutes. My face feels clean, refreshed and smooth.
I love this concept ~ it reminds me of the wonderful Skin Factory 7 Seconds Morning Sheet pads, only Neogen Code 9 Lemon Green Caviar Essence & Tox Tightening Pack has more concentrated ingredients and the exfoliating mesh side is more efficient and it is based on the principles of facial threading. Neogen Lemon Green is a exfoliating, detox, anti-blemish, soothing, pore care, moisturizing, brightening and toning product and whereas I haven’t seen the brightening aspects yet, I can say that it does live up to most of its claims. Personally, I use this at night, because it does take a few minutes for the tacky residue to absorb completely into my skin and I normally do not have the time or patience in the morning, when I am getting ready for work.
I wish that Neogen would sell their sample packs ~ I received one of these in a Memebox order and this is perfect for traveling.
I am hoarding this ~ I have two now ~ and it would be great to purchase a pack of 10 for travel purposes. The tub is too big to take with you when you are on vacation, and I find this product to be fantastic for vacation and traveling needs, as it is multi-purpose product. I am so pleased that Memebox is carrying Neogen again as they have lower prices than other USA shops and that I received this to review. It has been on my wishlist for a long time and I am pleased with this product. Have you tried this product or the Black Gold version or are now interested? Right now, you can purchase the Lemon Green at Memebox for $35.00 (which is so less expensive than other sites) but the only way to get the Black Gold version is in their Bling Bling Box, which sells for $50.00 ~ but you get 5 products in that box, with a RV of $116.00
- Free shipping off your order of $35 or more
- If you are new to Memebox, you use my referral link here and get 20% off your first order of $25.00 or more!
- WELCOME for 15% off for your first purchase (may not work all the time)
- If you purchase from Memebox and this is your first time purchase, you can use promo code 101smiles for 10% off.
- MAKEUPLOVE for 15% off any order (may not work all the time)
[ disclaimer: this product was sent to me for review purposes. all opinions are my own and are unbiased ]
[ this blog contains affiliate & referral links ]
[ promo images from us.memebox.com and neogen. description in italics from the linked websites in the product name ]