Disclaimer: Products were sent to me for review purposes. All opinions are my own and unbiased.
Another great resource for beauty bloggers is Brandbacker ~ they offer opportunities for companies and bloggers to collaborate together and produce reviews, based on exchange of products.
image credit from haskbeauty.com
I use several different types of hair products due to the nature of my hair and the products that I use. My hair is like my skin in the sense that they have two different needs ~ my skin needs hydration and moisture, to help against damaging UV rays and aging concerns and my hair needs hydration and moisture because I use a blow dryer and color treat my hair monthly. My skin is also oily, so I need detoxing and clarifying products to control oil and blemishes and my hair is also fine, straight and oily ~ so I use a lot of hair styling products to help give it volume ~ and I need a clarifying shampoo to remove all of the buildup from those products. I use clarifying and detox shampoos and I was thrilled to be accepted in the HASK Purifying Charcoal Collection.
HASK is a collection of hair care products featuring exotic oils and other unique ingredients from around the world. The range includes shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners and shine oils based on the key ingredients of Argan Oil, Monoi Coconut Oil, Charcoal Citrus Oil, Macadamia Oil, Keratin Protein Oil, Bamboo Oil, Kalahari Melon Oil, and Mint Almond Oil. HASK Shampoos, Conditioners and Shine Oils are free of sulfates, parabens, drying alcohols, phthalates, gluten and artificial colors. Each system was developed to target and solve specific hair care needs. Initially introduced in Europe in 2012 with great success, distribution of the HASK Exotic Oil range has expanded worldwide over the past four years. The range appeals to women around the world of all ethnicities and with all hair types. Utilizing high quality ingredients, luxurious fragrances and fresh packaging, the HASK Exotic Oil range provides consumers with high-performance, salon quality results at an affordable price.
HASK Purifying Charcoal Collection consists of three products ~ shampoo, conditioner and a deep conditioning hair treatment. These products are created to clarify and deep clean your hair and remove product buildup which will restore shine and bounce back to your hair. All three of these products are free from sulfates, parabens, phthalates, gluten, drying alcohol and artificial colors. These products have not been tested on animals and are safe for color treated hair (that’s me!)
There are some common ingredients featured in their Purifying Charcoal collection
- Charcoal ~ derived from coconut shells in the Philippines. This ingredient is used to absorb and remove impurities, such as product buildup, excess oil and dirt.
- Lemon and Grapefruit Oils are antioxidants and can help reduce oiliness and bacteria, add volume, brightening and shine to your hair and can protect your hair from UV rays, preventing fading.
Charcoal Purifying Shampoo First off, can I say how wonderful this product smells? The lemon and grapefruit oils are not overpowering, but just a lovely fragrant light tart scent ~ like walking thru a citrus grove. It is beautiful! This shampoo is a light glistening grey color and you can see the flecks of charcoal powder in it. Even though this shampoo does not contain sulfates, it lathers up nicely, with a good foam. Some non-sulfate shampoos are really lackluster in the foam department, but this one is not. It rinses out cleanly, but make sure you wash out your ears if you get shampoo in them ~ as you will see little charcoal bits in your ears if you don’t ~ I discovered this when using Q-tips!
- Hydrolyzed soy protein is a water soluble protein and it helps strengthen and mends your hair fibers. It helps aid your hair to hold more moisture, therefore adding shine and smoothing your hair strands.
- Glycerin is an humectant, sealing in moisture in your hair and is an emollient, providing moisture
- Panthenol is an effective moisturizer. It is derived from plants and this ingredient comes from Vitamin B5. Panthenol is a natural humectant, which retains moisture and hydrates and lubricants your hair.
I will say that you do need a conditioner after using this shampoo, as it is a purifying and clarifying shampoo, so your hair may be quite tangled after rinsing.
Ingredients: Water, Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl betadine, Cocamide MEA, Glycerin, Glycol stearate, Charcoal powder*, Citrus Grandis (grapefruit) Peel Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (lemon) Peel Oil, Hydrolyzed soy protein, Panthenol (vitamin B5), Dimethiconol, Sodium hydroxide, Sodium chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Dicaprylyl ether, Decyl glycoside, Glyceryl oblate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (*Activated charcoal)
Charcoal Purifying Conditioner This is the matching conditioner and it has a good weight to it for a clarifying conditioner ~ not too heavy for daily use but it moisturizes, smooths and detangles your hair. This also has charcoal bits visible in the product and the same lovely lemon grove in Italy scent to it.
- Shea Butter helps protect, repair and moisture your hair
- Coconut Oil is rich in vitamins and minerals, along with essential fatty acids. Coconut Oil’s chain of fatty acids are smaller than most and therefore the oil has the ability to penetrate your hair faster and more deeply than other conditioning ingredients. It helps repair your hair strands, smooths your hair and moisturizes your scalp and hair, while leaving your hair shiny.
This does condition my hair nicely and does not weigh it down, plus the added benefit of smelling like citrus! My hair looks clean, silky and shiny after I use this product and it is easy to comb thru.
Charcoal Purifying Deep Conditioner This is a deep conditioning treatment and I can get about 3 uses out of this as I have chin length hair. It is much thicker than the regular conditioner and I have used it as an overnight treatment ~ I put this on the ends of my hair and then put a cap on. Wake up, shampoo and condition my hair as normal, and this really does make my hair super soft. You can also do a quick treatment as well, by applying this to your damp hair and leaving it in for 10 minutes.
- Lanolin is sheep sebum, not fat ~ no sheep were killed by using lanolin. It is a very thick and heavy moisturizer and it helps add softness to your hair.
- Jojoba Oil (simmondsia chinensis) oil comes from the Jojoba shrub, which is native to southwestern USA and northern Mexico ~ it contains oil in its leaves and seeds. It helps to moisturize and smooth your hair, while removing excess oil at your scalp, which helps unclog the follicles and promotes hair growth
Same lovely scent, but much more richer, thicker and really adds softness and silkiness to my hair.
Ingredients: water, cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, quaternium-18, lanolin, fragrance, charcoal powder*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, hydrolyzed collagen, panthenol, glycerin, isopropyl palmitate, tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, citric acid (*Activated charcoal)
I also received a cute travel brush as well as a nice brochure that displayed HASK line of products ~ I am really interested in several of their product lines and will have to check out my local Ulta. I am very happy with the Charcoal with Citrus Oil Purifying collection from HASK ~ I am always looking for good deep cleaning and clarifying hair care products, as I do suffer from product buildup and also oily hair. The charcoal in this collection is a great idea ~ I have a lot of skincare products with charcoal to detox and remove impurities, so why not in my hair care products? The lovely scent of this collection is a real treat ~ I was really surprised and happy how HASK managed to make this collection smell like I was in a lemon grove. I totally recommend this line for people with oily, fine hair. If you have dry hair, I would suggest using the conditioners and not the shampoo, as you might find that too drying and if you have coarser hair, you might want to use the deep conditioning product only, as the other two items might not be moisturizing enough for your hair type. But if you have hair like mine ~ oily and fine, give this a try!
Where To Purchase
These products are really reasonably priced! Ulta Beauty has a retail value of $5.99 and they currently have a buy 3, get 1 free special on HASK items. House of Beauty carries HASK items as well around the same price point and they also have the deep conditioner, which Ulta does not carry right now. You can also find HASK at Walgreens as well. I found the Bamboo Oil and Kalahari Melon Oil lines easily, but the Almond Mint is really hard to find!
- Ulta Beauty: Full line of HASK products
- House of Beauty: Full line of HASK products
[ Products were sent to me for review purposes. All opinions are my own and unbiased. ]
[ description in italics from hask.com ]
[ Powered by BrandBacker ]