Haus of Gloi is an artisan brand that specializes in vegan;-friendly, uniquely scented perfumes oil and body products. I have talked about their perfumes here at my blog a few times but I haven’t really mentioned their other items ~ they carry lotions, hair oils, butter bath bombs, lip balms, soaps and scrubs. All of their products are hand made in small batches, using quality ingredients and sourced locally when possible from beautiful Oregon. The owners, Britton and Matt, are super creative and friendly ~ Haus of Gloi has a facebook group where customers can interact with the owners and each other.
About Haus: Welcome to the Haus! We are a small vegan business owned and operated by two individuals dedicated to bringing you the highest quality handmade bath & beauty goods and perfumes. All of our products are made in small batches to ensure quality and are made from scratch, never from a base. Our fragrances are intriguing blends inspired by seasonal tides and whatever else might catch our fancy. (source hausoflgoi)
I am reviewing three of their scrub products as they are a little different in look, texture and feel. I have two sugar exfoliant scrubs and one bubbling scrub.
Insalata Nocturna Sugar Exfoliant Scrub Insalata Nocturna is one of my favorite perfume oil scents so it made sense for me to pick up one of their body products. The sugar exfoliant scrub is an emulsifying scrub, which means it is used for both exfoliating and moisturizing your skin. It leaves a thin layer of hydrating and beneficial oils on your skin, even after you rinse off the product. No need for an additional moisturizer! Insalata Nocturna is described as “In the night garden, green Bolivian lemon, rubbed tomato leaf, olive leaf absolute, black fig syrup and basil” and yeah, Haus got this one down. This is reminds me of being outside on a warm summer day in a vegetable garden, picking herbs and smelling the fresh scent of vegetables. The rubbed tomato leaf is a perfect description ~ if you have ever taken a tomato leaf and then crushed in between your hands, it smells earthy and herbaceous. There is a lovely lemony scent plus the warmth of basil and sweetness of fig in this scent.
The scrub is a beautiful light spring green shade and it is very fine grained. You can see how dense it is with the oils holding it together. It is moist, but not wet ~ Haus of Gloi managed to get the perfect mix of oils and sugar together as it really is almost like a balm in its texture. It is a gentle sugar scrub, so there is no harshness and it does leave my skin smooth and slightly moisturized. This scent does linger on my skin and when I add the perfume oil, it only enhances it. Insalata Nocturna is one of their permanent scents, so you can pick this up year round
- Sugar is a great product in skincare. It is a natural exfoliator, as it contains glycolic acid, which is an AHA and will help moisturize your skin as well. It doesn’t clog your pores and it will help reduce blemishes and other skin issues
- Prunus Armeniaca (apricot) Kernel oil is an emollient that is rich in essential fatty acids, thus providing a nourishing moisturizer to your skin.
- Prunus Amygalus Dulcis (sweet almond) oil lubricants your skin, leaving a soft, smooth and glowing appearance. It is very mild and your skin will absorb it quickly, protecting your skin from drying out, due to its high content of fatty acids ~ it will also strengthen your skin barrier function as well.
Description: A luscious in shower confection designed to both moisturize and buff your skin to incredible softness! Our made from scratch recipe begins with heaps of organic sugar, pure shea butter and coconut oil whipped lightly with a host of a skin loving olive and apricot oils. These emulsifying scrubs are balmy in texture, do not require stirring and never leave you feeling too greasy after use. When combined with water these scrubs emulse into a very light cream and rinse away leaving you perfectly moisturized and divinely scented! 100% vegan, always.
Ingredients: organic cane sugar, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) fruit, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil,emulsifying wax NF, prunus amygalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, white kaolin clay, cetyl alcohol NF, fragrance, chrome oxide green
Who Needs Love Sugar Exfoliant Scrub Who Needs Love was a limited release for Valentine’s Day. I believe this is a reoccurring scent from Haus for Valetine’s, at least going back to 2013. I purchased the perfume oil first, which do last a long time and they actually improve as they age. This year, I went with two of the scrubs, including the Sugar Exfoliant. Haus of Gloi describes Who Needs Love? as “A mahogany box filled with chocolaty orbs, coated in crystallized coffee – filled with a pomegranate and raspberry filling. Who needs love when you have something this decadent?“
This version is a bit different looking from Insalata Noctura ~ it has little bits of coffee and pink granules. It does smell like a rich mocha blend with a delicious raspberry scent. I want to eat this so badly! This scrub is not as finely grained as Insalata Noctura, only because of the coffee bits in it, but it is still gentle on my skin and emulsifies beautifully into an milky moisturizing balm as the sugars dissolve. Again, my skin is left clean and moisturized, while smelling like cocoa-coffee-berries! I highly recommend that you purchase this scent next Valentine’s Day🙂
- Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit oil is an plant based emollient that contains several essential fatty acids ~ oleic, linoleic and palmitic ~ plus squalene. This is a highly moisturizing oil and will help repair your skin as it also contains antioxidants, such as vitamins E and A.
- Oryza Sativa (rice) Bran oil contains antioxidants that help preserve skin elasticity and protect against free radical damage. It will help make your skin look supple and toned, as well as removing toxins from your body. It is also an anti-inflammatory and help reduce hyper-pigmentation, allowing your skin tone to be even and brighter.
- Coconut (nucifera) oil contains saturated fats, which keep the skin smooth and retain the moisture on skin, and over time, as these fats are penetrated under your skin, it will give your skin an even tone and reduce the appearance of pores. Three fatty acids ~ capric, caprylic and lauric acid ~ help protect your skin from microbial infections that can get into open wounds or even through your pores. Coconut oil also contains Vitamin E, which is essential of healthy skin ~ its growth, repair, smoothing and protecting. It also prevents premature aging and wrinkling of the skin, due to its antioxidant properties. Coconut oil is rich in proteins, keeping your skin healthy, vibrant, contribute to cellular health and tissue repair
How To Use: Apply to damp skin in circular motions after washing with soap, avoiding any delicate areas. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Not recommended for facial use.
Ingredients: Organic cane sugar, sucrose (sugar), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) fruit, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, emulsifying wax NF, cetyl alcohol NF, proprietary fragrance blend, tocopherol (vitamin E), iron oxie, mica
Who Needs Love Bubbling Scrub This has the same delicious scent as the sugar exfoliant, but it is almost a whipped dense scrub, that is a creamy white, with no bits of coffee or red granules. This sugar scrub is a foaming one and when water is added, it foams up and you can use it instead of soap. It will rinse clean without leaving a drying feeling as it does contains glycerin and shea butter to help moisturize, but it is not a balm like the sugar exfoliants. This is a fun foaming soap that also gently exfoliates due to the sugar crystals in here.
- Glycerin moisturizes and hydrates the skin, leaving your face feeling smooth and soft.
- Sodium Coco Sulfate is a foaming agent and it is made from a blend of fatty acids from whole coconut oil
- Shea Butter comes from the nuts of Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) tree, which grows in Western Africa. It is a highly occlusive moisturizing ingredient that is full of antioxidants, helps heal and repair your skin, while protecting it from the elements.
Description: Our soft bubbling scrub is made from scratch and never a base! A delightfully scrubby and lightly foaming confection.Our foaming base is whipped until it produces soft peaks, similar to that of whipped cream. A blend of two sugars is then folded in, both fine and medium grain for fantastic scrubbing and polish it off with a heaping scoop of shea butter to leave you cleansed and smooth but never dried out. We use Optiphen, a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative system. 100% vegan, always.
How To Use: Apply to wet skin and massage into skin using circular motions. This is a water activated product and works best when vigorously lathered. Not recommended for facial use
Ingredients: organic cane sugar, sucrose (sugar), vegetable glycerin, sodium coco sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, propylene glycol, sorbitol, stearic acid, proprietary fragrance blend, shea butter, phenoxyethanol (and) caprylyl glycol, citric acid, iron oxide
I would say that Haus of Gloi scrubs are very gentle and should can be used on your arms, hands and legs, but they aren’t a scrubby scrubber for your feet ~ or at least my feet!! My feet are tough ~ maybe Haus can come out with actual foot scrubs :) These are finishing products for me ~ my skin is usually in good shape when I use these and I just want to top it off with some nice lovely scented and highly moisturizing sugar balms.
The nice thing about Haus of Gloi is many of their products are sold in small sizes, so you can try out the scents and bath products in a mini to see if you like it before committing to a larger size. I find the prices on their products to be comparable to other artisan, hand crafted, eco-friendly, vegan products, but it is nice to try a mini first, as scents are very tricky to deal with. I would also recommend emailing them if you are curious about the ingredient list ~ they seem to change on occasion and based on release ~ the core of the product is the same, but there can be some slight differences. I find that I do hoard my Haus of Gloi body products a bit, as they are so luxurious that I could easily use several tubs of their scrubs monthly if I am not careful!
You can check out their catalog here (link) and if you sign up for their newsletter, you will get advanced notice about their quarterly releases and also special releases, such as Valentines, Halloween and Yule. I highly recommend subscribing to their newsletter. I always just hand my money over to Haus of Gloi every time they have a new release!! haha They just put some of their winter and Valentine stock on sale (link here) and I did pick up some additional Three Treasures body products ~ I love that scent! It is rare that Haus has items on sale and I have never seen a promo code with them, but they are a small indie shop, so I can understand that. They do give free samples in every order, so keep that in mind when you place an order with them ~ you will get anywhere between 1 to 3 perfume sample vials, depending on how big your order is with them.
Have you purchased from Haus of Gloi? What are your favorite scents and products? Will you be picking up a few items now? Let me know in the comments below ~ I really love this company ~ it is one of my favorite indie brands out there for great scents.
[ Description in italics from Haus of Gloi ]