A while back, I purchased CosRX AHA/BHA Skin Care Kit from Wishtrend.com as I was interested in finding alternative skincare items, since I have discovered that Goodal discontinued the amazing Waterest Tone Up First Essence. I also was interested in AHA/BHA products, as I still have clogged pores around my nose, upper lip and chin area. This kit, which sells for $44.24, contains the following products:
- AHA/BHA Toner 150 mL Value $12.60
- Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence 100mL Value $20.40
- Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Facial Cream 100 mL Value $19.50
- Cotton Puffs (80 count) Value $2.80
About my skin type and issues: Oily, older skin, hormonal acne, clogged pores, aging concerns, hyper-pigmentation concerns
I’ve been using these products for a month now, with a 4 day break with the Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream, as I was testing another product as a sleeping pack at that time.
My toner and essence bottles look a little tipsy, don’t they? Maybe I was tipsy when I took the photo, ahaha. The packaging for all three products are pretty serious looking ~ no cutesy stuff about the labels, just black, white and a bit of purple/blue shades. They mean business!
AHA/BHA Clarifying Toner (pH level 3.9) This toner contains 10% apple water, 10% willow bark water, 0.1% Glycolic Acid and 0.1% Betaine Salicylate. Unlike other toners, which are made with purified water, this one is made with mineral water.
- Mineral Water contains a high content of silica, which strengthens the cells in our skin, between the collagen and elastin fibers, which plumps up our skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as slowing down the production of new wrinkles.
- Glycolic Acid (AHA = alpha hydroxy acid) is an exfoliator and helps clear up acne, moisturizes and reduces the appearance of fine lines and premature aging, by increasing cellular turnover, revealing new skin. If your skin is sun-damaged, adding AHA to your skin care routine is beneficial.
- Betaine Salicylate (BHA = beta hydroxy acid) is another exfoliator that helps reduce pore size, helps prevent acne, remove dirt and debris from clogged pores by dissolving the dead skin cells and smooths the skin. It is also an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
- Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Water is a vitamin-rich, anti-aging ingredient that contains antioxidants, promote cell health, moisturizes and helps heal sun-damaged skin
- Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Water is also a BHA, which helps exfoliate skin by removing dead skin cells, contains salicylic acid, to help combat acne. It is also high in anti-oxidants, which tone and reduce inflammation as well as being an astringent, to control oil.
This toner is very watery and I detect no scent with it. It comes in a plastic spray bottle and I spray the toner into the palms of my hands and then pat it on my face. I personally use cotton pads only for when removing makeup and not so much with my toners. I also didn’t want to spray this directly into my face either, but you can do that as well ~ just make sure you don’t get any in your eyes. This absorbs quickly, does not sting and it left no sticky or tacky feel to my skin. It is not irritating to my skin ~ I do not have “tough” skin, but normal skin, not sensitive. Since I have been using this product, I have noticed that my pores around my nose are clearer and cleaner and there has been no adverse effect from using this product.
Description: AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner is made with mineral water to rejuvenate for healthier skin. All-natural ingredients with mineral water for more than just a simple toner. Exfoliate, cleanse, and prevent with organic AHA/BHA molecules ! The AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner is made to hydrate and rejuvinate the skin while preventing whiteheads, blackheads, and blemishes for the perfect flawless skin you deserve. AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner to prevent, balance, and maintain. Tired of those whiteheads, blackheads, and blemishes? Suffering from dry skin? Worry no more ! The AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner prevents whiteheads, blackheads, and blemishes with the perfect blend of all-natural ingredients and mineral water to rejuvenate and replenish your skin. Experience hydration with an exfoliation. Don’t just think about having flawless skin, get it and maintain your perfection everyday.
Ingredients: Mineral Water, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Water, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Water, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Lactate, Glycolic Acid, Water, Betaine Salicylate, Allantoin, Panthenol, Ethyl Hexanediol cosDNA.com analysis
The next two products from CosRX contain Sea Buckthorn Water (Hippophae rhamnoides) and Hyaluronic Acid
- Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) contains vitamins C, A and E, beta carotene, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids. Vitamin C is important for brightening and stimulating collagen production. It contains 200 to 800 times more vitamins than apples. Sea Buckthorn is known for its antioxidant properties to help slow down aging and to regenerate new skin cells, while penetrating deep into your derma layer and locking moisture inside.
- Hyaluronic Acid (Sodium Hyaluronate) is an intensive moisturizing ingredient which bonds water to keep skin hydrated. It is a natural substance found in the human body and it made up of amino and uronic acids, and helps retain 100 to 1,000 times its own water weight in our skin cells.
Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence (pH level 6.5) This is a rich, nourishing essence that can be used daily. I do have issues with the product description on the Hydra Power Essence ~ it states it is for extra dry skin and I totally disagree! I have extra oily skin right now, due to the warmer months and this product works wonderfully with my skin type. Maybe they mean dehydrated skin, which oily skin can be. This product contains only 7 ingredients, including the sea buckthorn and 4,000ppm of sodium hyaluronate, along with
- Panthenol is derived from plants and this ingredient comes from Vitamin B5. Panthenol is a natural humectant, which retains moisture and hydrates the skin. It also is a good lubricant on the skin, making skin look soft and smooth. It is also an anti-inflammatory
- Glycerin helps with healing of wounds, is an humectant, sealing in moisture, maintain’s the skin’s water balance on an intercellular level, which makes the skin look healthy, moist (not dry and scaly), soft to touch, and is also an emollient, leaving your skin looking radiant and supple
This product comes in a plastic pump bottle and the essence is a thicker “water” gel. I can feel how lubricating it is on my skin and how rich it is. It has no scent that I can detect and is colorless. It absorbs fairly quickly into my skin and in fact, I sometimes add another layer of essence once this is absorbed. Again, no irritation, my face feels smooth and hydrated. I do notice that this product really does absorb completely into my skin, which means there isn’t any sticky “stuff” left on my face. Considering how slick the essence is out of the bottle, this is a pleasant surprise! I really like this essence and it is a good primer before my moisturizer du jour.
Description: Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence specializes in skin hydration care. By filling the layers of the skin with moisture, it aids in restoring the skins natural moisture layer. It contains 4,000 ppm of Sodium Hyaluronate, a natural moisture component. If you have rough and dry skin, Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence will smooth and moisturize your skin. Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence is free from artificial components that are harmful to the skin, such as parabens, artificial pigments, synthetic perfumes, TEA (Triethanolamine) and phthalate. You can use it without worrying about the essence harming the skin. It is safe to use on any skin type.
Ingredients: Hippophae Rhamnoides (sea buckthorn) Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin,1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate (4000ppm), Panthenol, Ethyl Hexanediol cosDNA.com analysis
Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream (pH level 5.95) Again, this cream is described as “great for dry skin or severely dry skin“. As I read that, I was a bit nervous in trying this product out and it did take me over a week after I started on the other 2 products before I began using this. I use this as a night moisturizer, because it is so deeply moisturizing and hydrating ~ but it doesn’t break me out! NO ACNE!! Usually products marketed for dry skin will cause my face to look like I have spattergroit but this one does not cause me to break out at all. This is described as a “moisture drink” for your skin and that is a pretty good description for it. Along with the sea buckthorn, hyaluronic acid, this product contains panthenol and other key ingredients:
- Betaine is an amino acid that is a humectant and anti-irritant, providing silky smooth skin and soothes and calms skin.
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil is a lightweight oil that has a high concentration of Vitamin E, which is a powerful anti-oxidant and may also help protect the skin from UV rays. It is known for its hydrating and moisturizing properties and it contains omaga-6 fatty acids.
- Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil has several fatty acids, which have anti-aging properties ~ palmitoleic acid: delays skin and cell aging; oleic acid: moisturizing and regeneration properties; linoleic acid: prevents water loss from your skin tissues. It is also high in phytosterols, which helps calm and soothe irritated skin.
- Arginine is another essential amino acid, that is an anti-oxidant, promoting collagen production to combat aging
- Cetearyl Olivate and Sorbitan Olivate ~ both derived from olive oil and known for their moisturizing and long lasting hydrating properties.
This is a hybrid of a gel and a cream, leaning more towards a cream. It is a lightweight cream, but don’t let that fool you ~ it is extremely moisturizing and hydrating. The cream is white, with no apparent scent to it and when applied, my skin very moist and there is a “slip” to my skin while the cream absorbs. By slip, I mean that my fingers glide over my skin, which is due to the lubricating properties of panthenol. It does take about 10 ~ 15 minutes for this cream to absorb into my skin, as it is so moist and dense. However, my skin is not greasy ~ it is very dewy. That is why I use this as a night moisturizer, as it would be too much for my skin type during the day. However, if you do have dry skin, you can use this as a daytime moisturizer too. My face in the morning when I wake up is very soft, hydrated and just feels wonderfully moist, not greasy or sticky.
Description: Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream is moisturizer that gently hydrates and protects the skin. It makes your skin deeply hydrating, lightweight wonder designed to smooth the complexion. Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream can be used as lotion was light moisture. This expert essential delivers soft, healthy, glowing results. Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream contains 3,000ppm amount of Sodium Hyluronate which is natural moist ingredient. Moisture barrier seals the moist inside and protect any evaporation of moist. Light but strong moisture cream keeps moist and keeps away oiliness. Hyaluronic acid builds silky coating on the skin to seal and lock the moist. Also, it helps to recharge waters in skin cells and makes water and oil balance in your skin system to make smooth skin.
Ingredients: Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn Tree) Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Betaine, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate (3000 ppm), Arginine, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Carbomer, Allantoin, Xanthan Gum cosDNA.com analysis
CosRX doesn’t have sexy packaging, doesn’t have flashy ingredients, but these three products have now made into my Hall of Fame and I will purchase again. My face has been in great shape since I have been using these 3 products, along with my Goodal Waterest Toner and Oil and Benton Snail Bee Essence. Since Goodal is discontinuing their original formula for Waterest, I am looking at alternatives for toners, and I think I have found it. Now, this doesn’t mean I won’t try other products ~ in fact, in June, I am starting my summer TheYEON testing for a July review. That said, these three products will not be forgotten and if you are someone with oily or oily-combo skin, I highly recommend them if you are looking for a good AHA/BHA toner, hyaluronic acid essence and/or cream. I also think that if you have dry skin, these would work for you as well, as Wishtrend does market this for all skin types. I was a little surprised that the individual product description on the HA products were marked for dry skin, but as someone who does not have dry skin, I can tell you ~ it works for oily skin too! I am so happy that during the time I used these products (except for those 4 days when I was testing out another product), I did not break out in acne and my face felt smooth, hydrated and clear.
This kit is still available for sale at Wishtrend, if you are interested in getting it. It also comes with an 80 count box of cotton pads. Have you tried any of these CosRX products? Or CosRX in general? What do you think of them? I am interested in this company now and I would love to know what other products in the CosRX family I should be looking at! Please let me know in the comments section below 🙂
[ descriptions in italics from wishtrend ]
[ this blog post contains affiliate links ]