For the next several weeks, I will be reviewing several different types of Vitamin C serums and Hyaluronic Acid serums. I have done past reviews on these types of products recently and in case you are wondering why I have so many…here’s why. I belong to the Tomoson network, and they connect bloggers and businesses together to review products. I have had good luck in being accepted in several campaigns and I pick ones that are of interest to me. As I just started derma-rolling, my interest in Vitamin C, Hyaluronic and Retinol serums has increased, because it is very important to use good products on your face after you derma roll.
I received Amara Retinol Serum in return for my honest and unbiased review from Tomoson. Retinol, which is a Vitamin A derivative, is extremely important if you have anti-aging concerns and also acne issues, which I do have both. People mistakenly think that if you are getting older, acne is not an issue. Retinol helps reduce and diminish fine lines and wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation, which includes both age spots and sun damage, reduces and heals scarring. It also clears up acne.
About Amara Retinol Serum
- Retinol is the #1 dermatologist-recommended anti-aging ingredient for a reason, because it works! Retinol is clinically proven to not only work, but continue to work, providing better results the longer you use it. Extensive testing has shown significant improvement in fine lines and wrinkles as well as pigmentation in as little as 12 weeks. Skin continued to improve at the 6, 9, and 12 month marks.
- A tried and true age-fighting ingredient that actually works, retinol is by the far the best thing you can do for your skin to combat the signs of aging. Retinol works on a molecular level to repair skin and stimulate collagen, resulting in firmer, smoother, wrinkle-free skin. Speeds up skin cell turnover, fading discoloration and improving texture to give your skin a healthy glow.
- Our advanced blend of 2.5% retinol with moisturizing Hyaluronic Acid and Organic Jojoba Oil offers superior results with less irritation. Safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and can even be used around the eyes.
- Retinol is an extremely effective acne treatment. It unclogs pores to clear up blemishes, reduce blackheads, and minimize pores. Prevents future breakouts by preventing dead skin cells from clogging pores. Also repairs elastin and stimulates collagen to fade acne scars.
Amara Organics Retinol Serum contains 2.5% Retinol, which is at clinical strength and the highest percentage you can get over the counter. It also contains Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E. This is a very concentrated serum, made to deliver this blend of retinol and HA deeply into your derma layer, to stimulate collagen production in order to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, soften skin and improve its texture and tone. I’ve discussed Retinol in my other reviews, and I will repeat some of that information here as well, as it does pertain to this product.
As we age, we naturally will develop fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, hyper-pigmentation and other signs of skin aging. Retinol (Vitamin A) is an ingredients that can “talk” to your cells and remind them to be healthy. Seriously, this is called a “cell communication” ingredient: Cell-communicating ingredients, theoretically, have the ability to tell a skin cell to look, act, and behave better, more like a normal healthy skin cell would, or to stop other substances from telling the cell to behave badly or abnormally. They do this by either direct communication with the skin cell or by blocking damaging cellular pathways or other cell-communicating substances. Cell-communicating ingredients complement antioxidants to improve skin-cell function. (source)
Retinol also is an antioxidant and can inhibit free radical damage and also repair damaged and aging skin cells by increasing the production of collagen. Retinol is also good at preventing acne and improving sun damage problems, such as hyper-pigmentation and wrinkles. When absorbed into the skin, it turns into retinoic acid, which then affects your skin cells and how they will behave.
Amara Organics claims that its Retinol Serum
- Repairs skin on a molecular level to erase fine lines and wrinkles
- Stimulates collagen for firmer, smoother skin
- Speeds up skin cell turnover to fade brown spots, discoloration, and acne scars
- Improves texture and tone for a smoother, softer, more radiant complexion
- Unclogs pores to clear up acne and prevent future breakouts
Amara Organics Retinol Serum comes in a dark bottle with a pump applicator, which I prefer, as my hands do get slippery when I am applying all of my other products on my face. It actually is a clear colored with a yellowish cast and a gel type with no scent at all. This serum absorbs quickly into my skin as I massage it in and then tap my skin for full absorbance.
My skin is very hydrated and as serums are designed to penetrate deeply into my dermal layers, I need to follow up with a moisturizer to lock in the nutrients and also provide a moisture barrier. As this is retinol, I always follow up with a SPF product, as your skin might become sensitive to UV light and could result in a negative effect, such as hyper-pigmentation.
This product also contains a few more good ingredients worthy of note
- Hyaluronic Acid ~ locks in moisture and creates cell “plumpness”
- Organic Jojoba Oil ~ a natural emollient that has a similar structure to your own sebum allows this oil to absorb easily into your skin
- Vitamin E ~ The antioxidants of all antioxidants ~ prevents free radical formation, protects the upper skin layer from initial harmful UV radiation and prevents the deterioration of fats in your cell membranes.
- Green Tea Extract ~ Green Tea contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties, as well as the ability to prevent collagen breakdown and reduces UV sun damage to your skin.
- Propolis ~ this resinous material gathered by honeybee, mixed with their enzymes, is a powerful antiseptic, anti-microbial and anti-fungal, as well as antioxidant, preventing cell damage
- Witch Hazel ~ an anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial (soothes and heals the skin), astringent (due to the large quantity of tannins), and locks in moisture to your skin
- Gotu Kola (Centella Asiatica) ~ a herbal ingredient with healing properties, provides a moisture barrier and collagen support.
- Triticum Vulgare (wheat germ oil) ~ a skin conditioner, full of Vitamin E, which is beneficial to your skin
This product does not contain Vitamin C, so I do not mind that it has sodium benzoate, which is only controversial if the product list specifically contained Vitamin C. Amara Organics will never use petrochemicals, parabens, artificial colors, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfaces, DMDM Hydantoin/Diazonial Urea, EDTA, TEA, DEA, MEA, phthalates or methylisothiazolineone in their products.
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe), Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccharide (Botanical Hyaluronic Acid), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Pentylene Glycol, Phospholipids, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Carrageenan Gum, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Oil), Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Organic Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea), Wildcrafted Resina Propoli (Propolis), Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Ethyl Hexyl Glycerin, Organic Gotu Kola Extract, Organic Horsetail Plant Extract, Organic Geranium Extract, Organic Dandelion Extract cosDNA.com analysis
Amara Organics Retinol Serum is 98% natural, 72% organic, vegan and cruelty free, no animal testing and is made in the USA. They back their products up with a 365 day money back guarantee and you can purchase this at amazon.com for $19.95 for a 1 oz bottle and you can save $10.00 on Amara products if you purchase 3 or more on amazon.com by using code G3SAVE10 at checkout.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com.