I have been Derma Rolling for about 4 months now and earlier this month, Petunia Skincare asked if I would like to review their Derma Roller in the 1.5 mm size. Since I had already tried, like and still use their 1.0 mm Derma Roller, I accepted. I received this product free from Tomoson for my honest and unbiased review.
The skin naturally regenerates itself approx. every 28 days. With derma rolling you can encourage skin regeneration, meaning you are building new skin. This is great with lightening acne scars, dark spots and age spots as it can speed up the pace in which new skin is made to help blend to its surrounding skin. This tool will help build up dimply cellulite and stretch marks on the skin through collagen and elasticity production. Hair regrowth relies on genes that promote the growth of hair cells. The most important chemical needed in the body to promote new hair cells is human growth factor. Scientists suggest derma rolling can stimulate human growth factor. As the needles create holes along the hair line, it inflicts minor injury. Now the body must work to produce new skin the area that injured and release human growth factor and other chemicals that aid in the regrowth of thinning hair
Petunia Skincare 200 Derma Roller is made with the highest quality surgical stainless steel available. Our stainless steel needles are medical grade, the same kind that doctors, surgeons, tattooists, and acupuncturists use! Don’t waste money on cheap quality derma rollers made with titanium on the market. Stainless steel offers the least reactions to the skin. Think about it, would a surgeon ever use a titanium scalpel blade, or would a tattooist use a titanium needle? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
As I had mentioned in my Petunia 1.0 mm review, Petunia’s Derma Roller has a lot more needles than other derma rollers out there on the market ~ 540 1.5 mm needles made from the highest quality of surgical stainless steel ~ all set in a disk. The more needles means that there are more channels that are created, which means the serum has greater access to my lower derma layers. Most derma rollers only have 200 needles. Since Petunia’s derma roller is made from surgical stainless steel, instead of titanium, it will not dull as quickly either.
What does Derma Rolling do for you?
It is scary to think about Derma Rolling, but the principle is this ~ skin needling involves rolling over your skin several times with a roller than has very fine needles. It creates channels in your skin which will stimulate the skin into creating new collagen. Those channels are also now available for the optimal penetrations of your serums and allow them to reach the lower levels of your skin layer, which would contain Vitamin C, peptides, hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin E, just to name a few. Don’t worry, those channels close up fairly quickly (within a few hours) and are not seen by the naked eye. You are actually creating natural collagen for your skin, which is different from collagen injections. The following list, from Petunia Skincare, contains the benefits from Derma Rolling
- Firmer and thicker skin
- Help smooth facial scars
- Stimulate collagen and elastin production
- Help with scar removal and stretch marks
- Stimulate hair growth
- Diminish the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Save money from surgical and laser treatments
- Can be used on any part of the skin
- Creates multi micro-channels in the skin, allowing products more able to penetrate the skin at a deeper level than just surface application
Close Up of Petunia Skincare 1.5 mm Derma Roller
Your skin remains intact, unlike chemical peels and laser-resurfacing, and your epidermis is not removed from Derma Rolling. Derma Rolling actually triggers your skin to think it needs to heal and regenerate, which will create new collagen production and cellular turnover. Derma rolling is an alternative to cosmetic surgical procedures and it has been proven to stimulate collagen production, which will speed up skin regeneration, build up pitted scars from acne, reduce wrinkles and even face stretch marks and cellulite ~ I haven’t really seen any results in the latter two, but I have seen results with my skin looking “tighter” from derma rolling. According to Petunia Skincare, you are stimulating collagen in areas where there might not be any collagen activity currently. When you derma roll, the products that you apply immediately after absorb 3000% more than not derma rolling.
The Derma Roller I received from Petunia Skincare is 1.5 mm, which is good for targeting deeper scars, refining pores and to get the stubborn, deeper wrinkles, like my 11’s. I am hoping that this will help stimulate more collagen production in that area, as I am really noticing those 2 wrinkles more now.
How To Use Your Derma Roller
To Derma Roll, after you have prepared your skin, you will apply your Derma Roller with a slight pressure and roll vertically, horizontally and then diagonally, making 10 passes over each area.
Once I am done with my Derma Rolling, I then take a vitamin C facial mist and apply that on my face and gently wipe off any residue of my numbing solution (more on that later). I then apply my Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C serum and then a good Vitamin C moisturizer. Do not apply any makeup afterwards. My face is reddened due to the fact I just poked holes in it, but that goes away after a few hours. You will also feel like you just used a medieval torture device on your face, and you probably would not be far off the mark! Beauty comes with a price ~ haha. I usually Derma Roll in the evening and by the morning, my skin color is back to normal. Avoid wearing foundations for 12 to 24 hours after derma rolling, do not engage in sunbathing or sunbeds one week after Derma Rolling and wear your SPF!
Derma Rolling is not for those who want immediate results. It took time for your skin to be damaged, and it takes time to regenerate and renew your skin. Nature cannot be hurried! I personally only derma roll every 3 weeks on my face with my 1.0 mm, and with my new 1.5 mm roller, I only use that on my targeted area (my elevenses ~ those pesky in-between eyebrow wrinkles) every other week.
Getting Started with Derma Rolling
You cannot just have a derma roller and start. I recommend the following products to have on hand
- 91% Isopropyl Alcohol to sterilize your derma roller and work area
- A good numbing gel – I use Hush Anesthetic Numbing Gel but am looking into other ones, as this one takes a while before my face numbs
- Cotton pads
- Your serums: Vitamin C, Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, whatever you wish to target. You can use a combination of them.
- Vitamin C Moisturizer
- Vitamin C Facial Mist (optional)
- If you are prone to any type of infections, a good anti-bacterial cream as well
- Thin latex-type gloves (optional)
Make sure your workspace is clean and wiped down with a solution of the 91% alcohol and water ~ I have a spray bottle just for this use. I also place down clean paper towels where I might be placing my derma roller. Vitamin C is so important because it helps with the collagen production, so if you don’t have it on hand or you like your other serums, you can add a powered form of it and add it to your serums and moisturizers. Before using your Derma Roller, inspect it for any dull or bent needles. If it looks like it has those, time to get a new Derma Roller. Your Derma Roller should last about 8 months to a year if handled and stored properly.
Sterilize your Derma Roller before hand by soaking it in the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for about 5 minutes. Rinse well under hot water. If you are sensitive to pain, apply your numbing product and wait until your face begins to turn numb ~ your product should tell you how long it takes. At this point, if you choose to wear the thin, latex-type glove, you would put them on. I personally don’t use gloves, but others may wish to. It doesn’t have to be latex, just a thin glove (not some dish-washing rubber glove!)
You are set to Derma Roll, vertically, horizontally and diagonally make your 10 passes over your face or other body parts, applying slight pressure. You should not be drawing blood! After you finish Derma Rolling, you will need to clean your Derma Roller again before putting it away in its plastic container. Petunia Skincare recommends the following
- Pour rubbing alcohol into roller container and submerge roller. Let both, roller and container, disinfect in the alcohol for 5 minutes.
- Pour out rubbing alcohol and run container and roller under hot water.
- Fill sink with hot water, add a tablespoon of bleach, then place roller and container in. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Take roller and container out, rinse with cold water, and then dry it off. Place roller back in container.
I have never done Step 3, but if you are susceptible to infections, it does sound like a good step to use.
Please note: I am not a doctor or a professional skincare expect. Before Derma Rolling, you should ask your dermatologist or doctor if this is safe for you to do. Derma Rolling is not recommended for those with
- active infections
- chronic skin disorders
- blood clotting problems
- poor healing or skin malignancies
- active acne (I have acne, but I do not Derma Roll over my pimples. That will just cause the spread of acne towards other parts of your face. You can Derma Roll, but avoid any areas that have active acne)
- severe solar keratosis
- raised moles or warts
Have you tried Derma Rolling? Do you want to share your tips and advice? Please comment below! I am always eager to learn from my fellow beauty lovers🙂
You can purchase Petunia Skincare 1.5 mm Derma Roller at amazon.com for $18.77. You can also save up to $14.00 on your purchase at amazon.com if you purchase additional Petunia Skincare products. I highly recommend their Eye Serum and Hyaluronic Acid Serum. You can review my review on those two products here
- PURCHASE ANY 10 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $14.00 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code RR4LB8JN at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 9 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $12.50 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code TH7LX265 at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 8 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $11.25 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code LIRODX53 at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 7 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $10 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code OM2AZNC3 at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 6 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $8.75 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code 8S9VLA5A at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 5 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $7.50 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code PEWGFFEW at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 4 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $6.25 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code ABDQR64J at checkout.
- PURCHASE ANY 3 PETUNIA SKINCARE PRODUCT AND GET $6.25 OFF YOUR ENTIRE PURCHASE! Enter code Q2Z6MCEP at checkout
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.