I have a confession that perhaps some of you can relate to. I suffer from a lack of Vitamin D. It isn’t from a lack of sunshine or milk ~ I just have lower levels of Vitamin D than my doctor cares for. So, I have to take 50,000 IU of Vitamin D weekly and I can either get it through a prescription ~ one pill per week ~ or take over the counter Vitamin D pills. The problem with the prescription is that my doctor will only fill it out for a few months and then I have to call to get it refilled. It is a pain.
When Vita Opimum asked me if I would like to try their Vitamin D3 pills in exchange for an honest review, I was very happy to do so! Please, before purchasing any supplement, talk to your doctor FIRST. I have been professionally diagnosed with low levels of Vitamin D and my doctor knows that I take a Vitamin D supplement.
- Made in the USA in a FDA Registered Facility – strict cGMP & NSF certification
- Pharmaceutical Grade Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 5000 IU
- FREE SHIPPING – 1 Year Supply – 360 Softgels
- GMO Free & Preservative Free – Made with Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Does NOT contain: artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, sweeteners, starch, soy, yeast, peanuts, milk, lactose, egg, wheat, gluten, fish, shellfish, and tree nuts
- Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol from Lanolin) : 5000 IU per softgel.
- Other Ingredients: Organic GMO-free Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Bovine Gelatin, (Kosher/Halal), Vegetable, Glycerin, Purified Water, GMO-free MCT Oil (from Coconut). Free of: peanuts, milk, lactose, egg, wheat, gluten, fish, shellfish, and tree nuts. Does NOT contain artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, sweeteners, starch, or yeast.
I like that this is made from organic olive oil and is Kosher, gluten free and doesn’t contain sweeteners or artificial colors/flavors. I do notice that when I take Vitamin D3, my energy levels are much improved, I am not sleepy/lethargic, my mood is much improved and I just feel better. Also, it is important, as a woman, to keep your bones strong and healthy, as osteoporosisis a major problem with women when they get elderly ~ it runs in my family.
I will continue to use these supplements and because I have no adverse effects from them and the price point is very reasonable, I will continue to purchase them from Vita Optimum. Since I take 2 pills a day, this bottle should last me 6 months, which at $14.88 is a fantastic deal!
I have a coupon for all of my readers to use on Amazon.com for Vita Optimum products.
- BLG25OFF : 25% off of your purchase with any of their products. The code will work until Dec. 31, 2014.
Check out their list of items at Amazon.com by clicking here!
Why do you need Vitamin D?
Your body must have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. Too little vitamin D results in soft bones in children (rickets) and fragile, misshapen bones in adults (osteomalacia). You also need vitamin D for other important body functions.
Vitamin D deficiency has now been linked to breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, depression, weight gain, and other maladies. These studies show that people with higher levels of vitamin D have a lower risk of disease, although they do not definitively prove that lack of vitamin D causes disease — or that vitamin D supplements would lower risk.
What is the difference between Vitamin D2 and Vitamin D3?
“Vitamin D” (calciferol) is considered to be a beneficial and necessary nutrient, but there is no single vitamin called “vitamin D”. What we know as vitamin D is essentially a collective term for two types of calciferol: vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Vitamin D3 is made in the skin of all vertebrates when exposed to sun, while D2 is produced by invertebrates, like fungus and plants, when exposed to the sun.
Generally, the word “vitamin” refers to a substance that the human body cannot produce on its own. So even though it has always been known as a vitamin and an essential one, vitamin D3 is technically not a vitamin but a hormone.
[ Complementary product received for an honest review ]