It has been almost 2 months since I wrote my favorite products for the month ~ I have been busy with work and vacation, so this blog post will be a bit larger because I am going to combine August and September together 😀
These are products that I “discovered” (or even re-discovered!) and would like to share them with you and also my impressions on them. I am also trying out a lightbox for photos, but I discovered I have the wrong type of lights. I need to get different type of lights and maybe this will work. I need the type of lights that can clip on to things and right now I am taking the photo with one hand and holding one light up and around with the other! haha I also need better backdrops. One day, I will make a run down to Joanne’s Fabrics and pick something up.
I love perfumes, but I am into “different” scents, unusual scents. I do enjoy commercially marketed perfumes ~ don’t misunderstand me ~ but I think that indie perfume businesses make some of my favorite scents. I hardly purchased indie perfumes in the past, but thanks to a thread at makeuptalk.com, which discusses indie cosmetics, including perfumes and body products, I found a few of them that I really liked and ordered from. They all offer sample vitals at a small price, so you can purchase the samples and decide if it is for you or not! I will be writing reviews on Solstice Scents and Sweet Anthem later on this month. All three of the companies below have excellent customer service. The prices vary, but the cost is extremely reasonable, just a few dollars for a sample.
- Haus of Gloi I’ve written about them here. Matt and Britton are lovely people and they always add an extra sample in your order
- Solstice Scents Solstice Scents offers an array of intriguing fragrances for both Men and Women. In addition to our perfume catalog, we also have a variety of sundries, facial care, aromatherapy and home fragrance oils.
- Sweet Anthem Sweet Anthem Perfumes is a tiny studio where perfumer Meredith Smith makes bottled stories you can read on your skin. Founded in 2001 and, later, 2007, the studio produces an assortment of exclusive fragrances that you can’t find anywhere else. Based on legends, lore, literature, as well as scenes from Meredith’s own life, our perfumes are christened for the characters found within the stories that inspired them. Sweet Anthem was recommended to me by one of my readers!
Okay, I love candles, but with 2 cats that love to sniff at everything, I find that air fresheners and wax melt are easier for me ~ no burned kittah noseeessss.. You can find these at any grocery, drugstore or Target-like store. They aren’t indie, but they are limited editions, so if you see them, grab them quickly. My favorite is the Yankee Candle Crackling Campfire. I haven’t even put it in my wax burner, and every time I pass by it, I smell the scent of smoke and wood. It is just WONDERFUL!! I also love the apple, herbal, pumpkin scents too. The Glade wax melts do not last long in terms of scent, but they are very nicely scented.
From the bottom, going clockwise
- Glade Red Apple Bakery wax melt Limited Edition: “Follow your nose to the Red Apple Bakery™, where a warm welcome and mouth-watering aromas await. Try their specialty: homemade cinnamon apple crumble, baked fresh every day and perfect with a spoonful of ice cream.”
- Glade Sage & Thyme Market wax melt Limited Edition: “Fresh green fragrance fills the air at the local specialty market, tempting your senses and inviting you to try daring new recipes. Inspire some culinary creativity with the scent of thyme, sage and other herbal favorites. “
- Glade Sage & Thyme Market Air Freshener
- Glade Apple Orchard Cinnamon Air Freshener Limited Edition: “Make your home more inviting with the scent of a delicious Orchard Apple Cinnamon”
- Glade Red Apple Bakery Air Freshener
- Glade Pumpkin Spice Air Freshener Limited Edition: “Fall’s most famous produce has inspired this sweet and spicy, playfully festive scent.”
- Yankee Candle Spiced Orange wax melt “This bright, cheery blend of sunny citrus and snappy ginger is the perfect winter warmer.”
- Yankee Candle Crackling Campfire wax melt This is a woodsy, smoky scent. If you love the scent of campfires, you will really enjoy this. I found this a Meijer’s.
- Yankee Candle Morning Roast wax melt Freshly brewed coffee! Another favorite of mine. It is like walking into a Starbuck’s on a crisp fall day.
- Yankee Candle Spice Cupboard wax melt A spicy sweet scent with cloves and oranges. This I also found at Meijer’s. Some of these scents are discontinued, but I have found that they make other variations of these scents, so you should be able to find something very similar. For example, Kitchen Spice is very similar: “This modern blend of sweet orange, clove, ginger and cinnamon is a new take on pantry favorites. “
I love scarves. I have two bins with scarves in them. Here are some of my favorite (some new, some bought in spring, but never wore until now) scarves. Because it is so difficult for me to show you how they look full size, I am going to display the photos from the Etsy site for those scarves, as they are truly works of art. My photos cannot do them justice.
From September 2014 PopSugar Must Have Box (the only good thing about it) ~ Tilo Modal Gradation Scarf in Raisin
My Crafts2Love Etsy scarves. I wrote about this etsy shop several months ago and I own quite a few of their wonderful felted, handcrafted scarves. You can read my original blogpost here. These are all handcrafted, so no two will be alike. All following scarf images are from https://www.etsy.com/shop/Crafts2Love
“Elegant and charming felted scarf, created by hand from softest extra fine Australian merino and silk fiber. Shades of navy blue, purple hues and black and grey accents add to it’s charming mystery…”
“Lovely hand dyed shiny teal silk felted with forest green/peach/cream Australian merino wool and silk fiber. As wool felts it gathers the silk, producing lovely texture.”
“Spreading out like wings of a Cuckoo bird or wrapped around cozily this lightweight silk and wool nuno felted shawl is sure to be your favorite! Felted from finest Australian merino wool (silk fiber and wool locks embellished) on light hand dyed ponge (paj or habotaj) silk. Colors are black and natural unbleached off white.”
Yep, this one made the cut for my favorite things. When I was driving back to Michigan, I stopped at many service rest stops on the way ~ for gas, for snicky-snacky’s, personal rest stops (ha!) and COFFEE. I love the Ohio Turnpike, btw. That stretch of road has several service rest stations and they serve STARBUCKS!! Other parts of the country do not ~ they have other coffee shops …turns up nose.
Anyway, I noticed these mugs and fell in love. Yes, they are commercially made, but they have a handcrafted feel about them, from the raised Siren’s tale to the additional painted waves and designs. The colors are beautiful blue-grey and olives. They hold a decent cup of coffee too! These retail for $9.95. They are hard to find in the stores now, but Starbucks website still has them
About the Siren
Let’s go all the way back to 1971, to when Starbucks was first coming to be. In a search for a way to capture the seafaring history of coffee and Seattle’s strong seaport roots, there was a lot of poring over old marine books going on. Suddenly, there she was: a 16th century Norse woodcut of a twin-tailed mermaid, or Siren. There was something about her – a seductive mystery mixed with a nautical theme that was exactly what the founders were looking for. A logo was designed around her, and our long relationship with the Siren began. Over the last 40 years we’ve made some changes to that identity.
Oh, you better believe they made some changes ..wink..wink..nudge..nudge…know whatta I mean… Secrets of the Starbucks Mermaid is an interesting read ~ I recommend it for those who like to know more about this logo
image from http://trigonis.files.wordpress.com
Notable Nail Polish
Both of my Notable Nail Polish picks are from indie companys ~ Rainbow Honey and Notoriously Morbid.
Rainbow Honey Sugarberries is a cranberry, deep red glitter bomb that is so perfect for fall and going into winter. I just think it is beautiful and I cannot wait to purchase the full size on their site. I received this in my September Rainbow Honey Mystery bag.
Notoriously Morbid is an indie company that I just learned about recently. I do subscribe to their monthly makeup bag, the Vanishing Cabinet. They had a VC in July that I missed out on, which was based on the amazing Joss Whedon Firefly series ~ which I LOVE ~ and I was able to pick up some of the overstock items. One of them is a nail polish ~ No Power In the ‘Verse, which is “full of microfine holo glitter in black and purple, mixed with holo blue, holo silver, rosey pink and black shards.” It is beautiful and I grabbed a couple of them as they will not make it again (sobs)
BTW, if you have never watched Firefly, you should. Go ahead, treat yourself. Just so you know, you will be in great company ~ “NASA Browncoat astronaut Steven Swanson took the Firefly and Serenity DVDs with him on Space Shuttle Atlantis’s STS-117 mission in June 2007. The DVDs were added to the media collection on the International Space Station as entertainment for the station’s crews.”
No Power in the Verse: two coats alone, one coat over Sephora’s Formula X Black Matter
Sugarberries: two coats alone, one coat over Sephora’s Formula X Black Matter
Forgive my crappy hands with the crappy application of nail polish. I am not a professional! I choose to show individual nail shots because my hands are really beat up right now. Hopefully, this will be helpful. I do think that Sugarberries would look better over a reddish nail polish or lighter color, as the black doesn’t really let it show off its beauty. I have worn No Power in the Verse over a burgundy nail polish and it looks wonderful!
Notable Lip Products
From bottom left, going clockwise: Julep Plush Pout Magenta Plum, Witch’s Pouch POPO S23 Orchid Plum, Witch’s Pouch POPO S21 Burgundy Wine, Liptini Straight Up Color Lipstick Plum Wine, Notoriously Morbid Glass Apples Lip Tint
If I received this in a box, I will link the item to my review, where you can find out more information. If I purchased it elsewhere, I will post the actual link of the online shopping site.
There were a few lip colors that I really love and if you notice the theme, they are all plummy, rich colors for the fall! I cannot help it, I love a good plum color lippie
- Julep Plush Pout Magenta Plum I received this in my September Julep box and I love the plum color which is deep and true without being brownish
- Witch’s Pouch POPO S21 Burgundy Wine I received this in my Memebox 2014 F/W Colors box. It goes on slightly sheer, but is buildable. It is a sheer plum wine color that has a brownish tint to it. It photographs more brown that it really is in person. I loved this color and the formula so much, that I had to get the other choice, Orchid Plum. I found a website that carried it…and…
- Witch’s Pouch POPO S23 Orchid Plum Here it is. This is a vibrant bright orchid color that leans to a richer purple. Its’ name is perfect as it is an orchid mixed with plum.
- Liptini Straight Up Color Lipstick Plum Wine I received this in my last ipsy bag in August ~ it was a rewards point ‘purchase’ and I am glad I was able to get it. It is a lovely dusky mauve plum
- Notoriously Morbid Glass Apples Lip Tint I received this in my September’s VC bag and I have used this quite a bit ~ as by the looks of that tube. It didn’t come that way ~ it was in great condition, the paper label was not mushed off, but because this is in heavy rotation with me, it got really beat up! This sheer wash of a berry color is perfect on its own or as a base for some of my darker colors. It helps sheer them out to be more wearable on a daily basis. This smells like apples 🙂 This is now on sale at NM site and they have 4 different colors to choose from ~ Glass Apples, Glass Berries, Glass Peaches and Glass Strawberries
- Julep Plush Pout Magenta Plum
- Witch’s Pouch POPO S21 Burgundy Wine
- Witch’s Pouch POPO S23 Orchid Plum
- Liptini Straight Up Color Lipstick Plum Wine
- Notoriously Morbid Glass Apples Lip Tint
Notable Eye Shadows
Notoriously Morbid makes another appearance here! Again, with the berries!! I love the plums/violets/berry shades. They go beautifully with neutrals, greys and blues.
Notoriously Morbid Autumn Flower This was another item from the VC’s Out to the Black Firefly collection. “A regal dusty purple with a gorgeous blue/green shift.“ They no longer make this color, but the Blood Countess Collection has a color that is fairly similar called Goblet of Red ~ “A rich Merlot red with a powerful blue/green shift”
- Cheekroom Violet
- NM Autumn Flower
- NM Glided Mirror
Just to show that they are a sparkle fest, this picture, which is out of focus and slightly dark, shows the iridescence quality of these shadows.
- Cheekroom Violet
- NM Autumn Flower
- NM Glided Mirror
Korean Gel Eyeliners
Okay, I wasn’t sure about Korean makeup. I am very picky about it and sometimes, the colors that Koreans like or at least what Memebox likes to send out (ORANGE, SCREAMING PINK) are just not my cup of tea. However, when I started getting eyeliners in my Memeboxes, I found that I really liked them ~ a lot. They do not budge and they are waterproof. So far, it doesn’t seem to matter what brand I’ve been getting, they all are performing beautifully. This is my current collection and I do have some that I ordered off of Ebay ~ a Mermaid Tin Season 2 by Tosowoong (Makeon), which will have khakis and other colors.
- Tosowoong (Makeon) Deep Aqua Blue I got this in my Memebox Color Blue box.
- ideeB Ultra Fine Pearl Black From Memebox Traveller’s Beauty Kit
- Beauty People Miss 100 Glimmer Coral from Memebox Global #14
- Beauty People Special Edition Season 2 Glimmer Bronze This was from a Memebox, but I swapped for it, as I didn’t purchase that one. This is part of that Snow White Limited Edition tin (I’ve picture the tin above).
- Karadium Line Hero Silver White From Memebox All About Eyes.
- DD’ell Twilight Purple From Memebox 2014 F/W Colors
- Beauty People Special Edition Season 2 Glimmer Beige
- Beauty People Special Edition Season 2 Glimmer Gold
- Beauty People Special Edition Season 2 Glimmer Brown
- Beauty People Special Edition Season 2 Glimmer Black
- DD’ell Garden Light From Memebox 2014 F/W Colors
I have baby fine, straight, oily hair. Very baby fine hair. I love these two products, which my hair dresser recommended to me, because together, they lift my hair and make it more “bigger”. I never looked good in the flat, straight-as-a-pin style; I need some volume. I am also a product of the big ’80’s as in I was in my teens and twenties back then in those dark ages (or olden times) and was really paying attention to makeup, hair and fashion. Hair WAS HUGE then. I don’t perm my hair, so I depend on products to help me texturize my hair and these products, along with whatever sea salt spray I have on hand, help me achieve that goal. These are pricey, but since a little goes a long way ~ the root booster is just a few “squirts” and the mousse is one squirt on a hairbrush and then I brush it thru my wet hair concentrating on the areas I want to have be “poofy”. These products are made for medium to fine hair.
Root Booster retails for $29.00
For the ultimate full-bodied hair, Root Boost is designed to deliver lift and movement by prepping the roots with a strong texturized foundation prior to styling with heat. High-performance, nourishing formula instantly amplifies volume at the roots and thickens each strand to provide texture and shape, allowing for volume that never falls flat.
- Enriched with argan oil to nourish hair and scalp
- Fortifies and thickens at the root
- Long-lasting voluminous texture with natural-looking finish
- Helps control static
Volumizing Mousse retails for $28.00
Moroccanoil® Volumizing Mousse is a styling mousse that builds body and provides flexible hold. Its weightless formula creates natural styles with lift and movement, without leaving residue.
- Full Body
- Flexible Hold
- Weightless, non-sticky residue
I hoped you enjoyed reading about my favorite new products. Let me know if you have tried them and what you think about these products or comment on your own favorite recent finds!
[ descriptions in italics are from the linked product’s website ]